Hennock & Teign Village Chronicle

Published by the Hennock Village Hall Committee

300° view of Hennock from
the top of the Church Tower

© 2014 D Baker

The Village Houses

from the book Hennock - A Village History
by Iain Fraser, pub 2004
ISBN 0-9545121-1-1
Reproduced here by kind permission of the Author.
Copies of the book are usually available at The Palk Arms
or direct from the Author at e-mail: palkhistory@yahoo.co.uk or Tel: 01626 439489

Further extracts from this fascinating guide to bygone Hennock can be found in the Palk Arms section, the Village History sections and the Lanes and Signs sections.


Longlands
Longlands

Longlands. One of the most impressive houses in Hennock, it is thought to have been built in the 15th C. on the foundations of a Saxon farmhouse. In 1685 it was known as Langland. The farmland stretched from Longlands Farmhouse all the way down to Doghole Bridge, by the River Teign. This long tract of land is the suggested origin of the farm name.

Longlands in days gone by was a fairly large farm and has had many owners over the years. The Tithe Survey of 1840 shows Longlands consisting of 116 acres. It is now a Grade II listed property.

Cromwell may have stayed here and has been said that it is home to many ghosts. Some metal work indoors has a King Charles I crest on it though it is not known how long this has been in the house.

Longlands
Longlands with unknown lady standing in the doorway

During WW2, Major Bancroft-Wilson who lived here was in charge of the Hennock Home Guard. They took an active part in protecting  the reservoirs from German landings during the war.
Mr John Reeve, a successful Canadian potter now living in New Mexico, once lived at Longlands and built some pottery kilns here. He was a student of the world famous potter Bernard Leach. While studying with Leach in St. Ives, Cornwall, John Reeve obtained funding from the Canadian Council which enabled him to set up his pottery here. Warren MacKenzie another famous Leach student came to stay at Longlands for about six months. In fact at Longlands there is a small cottage still called the Potters Cottage.
Stuart Abrahall and his wife ran a bed & breakfast at Longlands and the tariff for a full week's stay in 1971 was '£14 a week for adults, reduced terms for children'.
Up until a few years ago, Longlands was used as a Field Study Centre, where children from far off schools would come down to experience Dartmoor and the countryside.

The Old Chapel. A Wesleyan Methodist Chapel and built in 1833 because of the large influx of workers coming from Cornwall to work in the mines. Constructed on part of a site which used to be an orchard, the Chapel was in use up until about 1952. From then on until about 1970 the building was used as a Sunday school. In the 1970s it was used as a workshop and finally converted to residential use in the 1980s. Restrictive covenants are still in place, which forbid the manufacture, distribution, or sale of intoxicating liquor from the premises and a total ban on gambling and use as a dance hall.
Outside the house is a marker stone bearing the inscription TWM' indicating the location of the old Torquay Waterworks Mains in the lane.

Just through the gate past the Chapel is Bewdown field, leading up to Bowling Green field. The Hennock Flower Show and Revels took place here at one time.

Wistaria
Wistaria Cottages on the left - Longlands opposite

Wistaria Cottage. The present building probably dates back to the late C16th. The rear yard used to have an old cobbled surface - probably buried now beneath the patio slabs.
In the left hand side of the fireplace in the front room, is a cloam (clay) oven with original cloam door intact. This oven is about two feet deep. At the back of the house is another, much larger bread oven. It is built onto the back of the chimney breast so it bulges out into the garden. This oven measures five feet in depth and about 22 inches in height. It must have been constructed for commercial use given its large size.
A special window used to be situated in the front wall where surplus bread and pies would be left, free of charge, for the poor to collect, unseen, during the night.
The wide main door displays a well-trodden granite threshold. It is thought to have been a through passage for animals to get to the rear of the building, where a shippon once stood. Looking at the layout of the house it is quite possible that Wistaria may have been two cottages at one time.
In the old photograph, you can see that the front extension had large glass sides with plants growing indoors. It is possible that this was originally a shop window because of the large baking oven on the premises and that it was also the Hennock Post Office for a while in the 1880's.

Wisteria Cottages 1, 2 &3. Probably built in the early 19thC, the old name for this row of cottages was 'Sanders Cottages'. Sanders was the owner and village carpenter. He also taught woodwork classes at the school. Numbers 1 & 2 are thought to have been 'infill' cottages possibly on the foundations of old barns.
Villager Archie Cudmore, who was a keen amateur photographer, spent many hours in the basement of No.2, which had been turned into a darkroom. Originally four cottages, 3 & 4 were knocked together to form one property in the 1940's.

Causley Cottage. The barn behind No. 4 Wisteria was used as a carpenters workshop. It was here that they also made coffins.

Byelanes. Built on what was church land by the Sanders brothers in the sixties. It was previously a store-yard for building materials. There used to be a limekiln here in the early 1800's.
From the allotments there is a door in the old wall leading into the property. This is a lot older than the building there now. It may have been another entrance to the churchyard.

Bakery Cottage
Bakery Cottage and The Old Bakery - The photo shows various signs outside with 'Lyons Tea' visible.

 

Old Bakery. (next to the church entrance). The present front door of the Old Bakery was originally a passage­way separating the two houses and led through to the back. The right-hand door shown in the photograph was then the entrance to the house. The large front window you can still see was the original shop window.
In 1910 the building was a Post Office and general store run by a Mrs Elizabeth Anne Webber. A post box was inserted into the wall between the two cottages.

Bakery Cottage. This cottage next door was used as the dwelling area. It had an internal doorway connecting the home and the shop.
A large cast iron cooking range was situated in the kitchen. It was here that the baking was done and where the villagers often brought their meals to be cooked.
The heavy-horses kept at Lakes Farm opposite the cottage would be driven up to the mines to take pies and pasties to the miners.
Fish and chips were once available three days a week when the Walling family lived here.
On the side of the property there remains what seems to be part of a cellar or an underground tunnel, which would have been under the poor houses that once stood here.
Many bats used to live at the side of the house. In the wooden door at the side of the cottage, instead of a glass panel, there is a flap which could be kept open for the bats to roam freely. This was known as the 'bat-flap'.

Bell Lane. It was named as such because it was from here that you gained entrance to the church. About nine cottages stood here, but were in a very run down state so were eventually pulled down in the 1930s. After many years left as a rubble site, the road was widened and the present three cottages built in 1950. There were also allotments up here, the land belonging to the church.

Weavers Hill
Weavers Hill Cottage from the side. A Sign on the house says 'Public Telephone' - probably one of only very few telephones in the village at that time.

Longlands Cottage. Part of the Court Cottages which surrounded a courtyard here, before they were demolished. There were many other dwellings on this area of land; one up, one downs, some with connecting bedrooms. Renamed Longlands Cottage because at one time it housed the farm workers from Longlands Farm. The upstairs room of this remaining cottage was possibly a dancing hall or social room, made use by the miners (probably Cornish) who once lived here. Later the upstairs room was made into two bedrooms. A rail was found all around the wall presumably to prevent chairs from scuffing it.
The cobbled lane, which can still be seen, leading down beside Weavers Hill Cottage to Longlands Cottage was called The Drang, or Drangway.

Weavers Hill Cottage. This cottage was once the Post Office. It was run by a Mr William Whitcombe and his wife Sarah from about 1870. Apart from running the Post Office he was clerk to the School Board of Governors, a Trustee of The Methodist Chapel and is also listed as being a shop­keeper and iron­monger in 1873, a postmaster by 1883, (his wife was subsequently sub postmistress), then in 1890 he was the local rate collector.
Where the garage now stands, on the left of the cottage, was once the site of the New Inn Pub, evident on the Tithe Map of 1840 and run by Mr Loveys.
Alongside the old run-down cottages that used to be on this plot, Weavers Hill was listed for demolition. It is now however, a Grade II Listed property. Also known in the past as Fernlea Cottage.

Lakes Cottage
Old Slade (far end) & Lakes Cottage (nearest). One long farmhouse originally.

Lakes Cottage. The old farmhouse cottage was built circa 1610. It had a granary, apple store & pound house where you can now see two garages. Unfortunately, a fire destroyed the old store areas. It is reputed to have been the village Courthouse where crimes of sheep-stealing etc., were tried. The cobble­stones and wall are now all listed features.
In the main lounge area, there used to be a wooden settle by the fire. The men would drink homemade cider and smoke their pipes here. Ladies were not allowed in here when this was happening and were banished to the kitchen. There used to be an African grey parrot perched on the top of the settle and if a lady did ever come into the lounge it would screech & unleash its unsavoury vocabulary!

Lakes Farm
The horses that used to be kept at Lakes Farm were used in the fields and also to deliver food around the village.

 

Lakes Farm. This farm was paying money to the church-wardens from the earliest records held. Named after a Mrs Lake who lived there for a while in the late 1700's, the name Lakes Farm was eventually adopted in about 1840. The shippon & barns were converted into a separate dwelling from Lakes Cottage.
In the 1900's, milk, butter, cheese and cream were all hand-made at the farm. Two dray horses were kept at the farm and were used in the fields and also to deliver the dairy produce around the village.

Tucker Children
Charles & Lily Tucker sitting on the steps at the back of Union Cottage 1903.

 

 

Union Cottage. Situated next to the Palk Arms Pub, this was once the Union Inn, selling cider made by Farmer Tuckett of Warmhill amongst others. The earliest record I could find for the Union Inn dates back to 1851 when William Loveys was the proprietor.
The house was also known as Pinsents Cottage for a time. There may have been a connection between the Pinsents who lived here and the Palk and Pinsent brewery of Newton Abbot who supplied ale to the Palk Arms.
There used to be a doorway leading from The Union straight into the pub next door.
In the 1920's, Charlie Tucker Jnr. ran the Union Inn while Frank Evans 'kept pub' next door. The bar area in the Union was no more than just the sitting room of the house.
If you look down the lane between Union & Lakes cottages and peer at the side wall, you can see the bricked up doorway, set up from the ground, where the cider barrels were delivered.
Remains of the broken up old Hennock Cross are said to have been used in the building of the side wall, or possibly the rear steps of Union Cottage.

 

 

Ivy Cottages
Ivy Cottages

 

 

 

Ivy Cottages. Ron Tucker who now lives in Chudleigh has given me a lot of information about Hennock of old and very kindly supplied me with many of the photographs that are included in this book.
Ron's family moved into Ivy Cottages in 1900. Ron himself was born in No. l while his grandfather Charlie Tucker Snr., manager at the Great Rock Mine, lived in No.2.
There used to be gardens leading down to orchards, a few pigs and an old blacksmith's forge here.

Ivy Cottages
Ivy Cottages, before the extensions were built by the Sanders brothers in the 1960s.

 

 

 

 

 

Apart from working at the mine, Charlie Tucker Jnr. also put his hand to sawing up logs to sell to villagers and working in the smithy where they also, for a short time, sold petrol in two gallon cans. It was pointed out that it was probably not a good idea to store petrol in the forge, so you then had to go to the pub to buy it.
Unfortunately the last remains of the forge buildings were recently knocked down to make way for parking spaces.

 

Next to School.  This was the site of the old rickyard. A large steam driven thrashing machine was brought in to thrash the corn. This usually came up from Chudleigh. It is recalled that there were many rats (rodents) in the school playground at this time.

Old School House
The Old School House. Probably Mr Hoiles & Children who lived here around 1913. Pic courtesy DRO.

 

 

 

Hazel Crest. Where the council built houses are now situated, there used to be an orchard, named on the Tithe Map as ‘Town Orchard'. A footpath ran along this crest to provide easy, off the road access to the Old School House for the Master, his wife and children.

Old School House. Up by Hazel Crest and built about 1900, it housed the Schoolmaster and his family. Sometimes called Haldon View and also known in the past as Belvedere. Once owned by the Hazelwood Estate, it was leased to the School Board for a term of 75 years from 1900.

Old Thatch
Old Thatch Cottage.

 

 

 

 

 

The Old Thatch Cottage. One of the oldest houses in Hennock, part of Lower Town Farm and still thatched.
It was a very large farm at one time and many years ago, part of Warmhill Farm. When the freehold of Warmhill came up for sale, Lower Town, which was included, consisted of a thatched dairy house with a yearling shed, manure house and poultry shed, a shippon, root house and three-stable stall.
In the 1920's the thatched house was run as a Guest House. The bedroom doors upstairs are still numbered from 1 to 5. Ice cream was also sold from here and whenever it was ready, the farmer's wife would go outside and ring a hand-bell to let everyone know.
Before the school was built, there were many more cottages and farm buildings on this site.

Lower Town Farm Cottage. Originally the shippon belonging to the thatched farmhouse. It is now converted to a residence.

Old Village Shop
The village shop at Shute House with Shute Cottage in the background. Pic courtesy DRO.

 

Shute House. Found its name because of the water issuing forth beside it. On the granite water trough there are the initials 'W.S.' and the date 1858', possibly belonging to William Soper who once lived opposite in Lower Town Farm or maybe even William Stanbury a landowner in Hennock.
In 1894, William Brely sold the plot of land that included Shute Cottage to Matthias Joll for £150. Joll was a travelling tea merchant, grocer & draper.
The Joll family originally came from Hoyland Nether, near Barnsley in Yorkshire. *(This is known to be incorrect, the Joll family moved to Hennock from Stoke Climsland, one branch moved to Hoyland Nether, ED). In 1913, Matthias sold Shute House to William Joll for £300. In later years the Jolls also owned many of the properties in Bell Lane.

Highgate. Built onto the back of the Post Office Stores by the owners of Shute House in 1972.

Shute Cottage. Not much is known about this cottage but it was originally a barn with orchards and was an occupied dwelling at the time of the Tithe Map in 1840.

Rose Cottage & Meadowbrook. These were built around 1841/1842, and featured on the old maps as 'Rose Cottages'. There is an above ground stream running through the garden in Meadowbrook (also known as Rosemount), probably the only water surfacing in this area apart from the springs.
Outside Meadowbrook is a very large rock. This is the Preaching Rock where visiting preachers who were not allowed within one furlong of the church, would stand and preach their own version of The Truth.

Earldon (Easylane) Cottages There were at least three cottages at the top of Easy Lane, possibly more by looking at the old maps. Earldon Cottage (also known as Eardon and Easdon) originally being two dwellings.

King Cup adjacent to Earldon, at one time burned down and had to be rebuilt which is the house you see today.

Just before Earldon Cottage, where No.7 Road Park is now situated, there was a garage belonging to Charlie Morcombe. Born in 1883, he was the first taxi driver in Hennock, being the proud owner of a Ford motorcar.
From here onwards there were no more cottages until you reached the New Houses, which were all part of the Hazelwood Estate.

New Houses These were the nearest to the five lanes junction. Originally there were four terraced houses, until two of them were converted into one residence. Apparently, the house nearest the road had a shop window installed, with the travelling tea merchant, grocer & draper, Mr Joll supplying some of the goods to be sold there.
The old houses were demolished in 1974, leaving only some out-houses which still remain. Mr Paul Wastell bought the site including the rubble, and built two new houses, incorporating a lot of the original stone that was left there.

Hazelwood
Hazelwood House 1904.

 

Hazelwood House Also known in the past (1783) as Halswood and Halsewood.
Originally a farm, Sir L V Palk owned it in the 1800's. During this time it was leased to a member of the Kitson family.
Miss Charlotte Warren resided here in 1861. She was the Superintendent of the school and also had the schoolmistress Miss Emily Turner living here.

George Family
Squire George and family, Hazelwood 1904.

The old thatched house that once stood here, suffered badly from a fire in 1895. Looking at the Census records of 1891, I noticed that a Mr Edward Smith was living at Hazelwood with his family. His son is recorded as being a 'Student of Chemistry'. I wonder?
It is thought that Mr Joll rebuilt the house and then sold Hazelwood to F. Gordon George Esq. Squire George extended the building and greatly improved the gardens. Not much is known about him, but he and his wife were well respected in the village and his daughter Eve was married in Hennock. He had a house in Hampstead, North London and I believe that Hazelwood was probably a country retreat for him. It was thought that he was an agent for Lord Rothschild and housed the latter's collection of big-game memorabilia. After much research at the Rothschild Archives and the Natural History Museum in London, it seems that Squire George was a private collector and had only a mutual interest and some mutual friends, with Walter Rothschild.

Game Collection
Part of the game collection in Hazelwood 1904

In 1925 Squire George sold the house to a Mr Ripley who bred Springer spaniels there.
Only three years later, Hazelwood was sold at auction in Exeter.

The new owner was to be Major Robert Kitson who had lived at Shiphay Manor, the family home in Torquay since 1740. The Kitson family were at one time solicitors and business managers to the Palk Family. The family firm still exists with the office in Vaughn Parade, in Torquay.

Hazelwood House had nine bedrooms (three for servants) many farm and outbuildings, an icehouse, its own water supply and electricity generator and a total of 73 acres of land which included the four New Houses which used to be on the main road just down from five lanes.
The gardens at Hazelwood used to be open to the public on a Wednesday under the National Gardens Scheme.
The garden was noted for its trees, mainly Canadian redwoods, maples, oaks and hazels plus plenty of daffodils, rhododendrons, azaleas and wisterias.

Butt Park
Butt Park c1934. Pic courtesy DRO.

 

Butt Park & Road Park. These proper­ties were built c1920 to 1950 to re-house all the families when the older proper­ties in the centre of the village were knocked down. The names were taken from the field names, on which they were built.

Allotments. For a small fee allotments can be obtained on a yearly basis. They are not in an ideal place for growing vegetables, because they are exposed to the elements and the topsoil is rather shallow. Even so, they can be productive. Potatoes seem to do rather well up here in Hennock.
The field above the present allotment area was also used for the same purposes but is now privately owned.

Greenhill. At the top of Warmhill, this house was built by the Great Rock Mine Manager Mr Hoskins for his son. Opposite Greenhill stood many houses at the time of the Tithe Survey and up until the late 1800's, though no traces remain.

Hennock View
Old view of Hennock taken from the allotments. ca 1950s

Warmhill. This is a cluster of old thatched cottages in a sheltered spot just below Hennock. Featured in the Domesday Book as Wermehel. Also known as Warmwell and Wellesmore. Cromwell and his men are believed to have stayed here.
When the freehold for Warmhill Farm was up for sale around about 1920, a thorough description of the farm and the land was published.
It describes Warmhill as being an 'old-style farm residence of Jacobean period and character, with the lands in a high state of cultivation with luxuriant watered meadows, high-class pastures, thriving orchards and fertile light-working arable closes.' At the time it was being let to Farmer W Tuckett at an apportioned rent of £256 per annum. The sporting rights over the land were let to F.G. George, Esq. of Hazelwood for the annual rent of £8.
Just past the cottages, on the left hand side is Warmhill Meadow, where the Hennock Flower show used to take place, possibly up until 1934.
In one of the fields is a disused mine, now filled in, with a large spoil heap, created when they once searched (unsuccessfully) for traces of the local lead seam.
Recently, Bronze Age flints and some Roman pottery have been unearthed at Warmhill.

The farm has holiday accommodation available in the well-renovated shippon barn. Popular with families from all over, it gives visitors the chance to help out on a working farm.

Warmhill Bartons. These were originally barns belonging to Warmhill which were converted into private residences.

Huish. Huish and nearby Fludda, lie just below Warmhill.
Huish is now mainly a farmstead, but features a lot in local history and was once possibly an estate.
In the early C13th, William, the son of Robert Lancelyn, gave all his land at Hywys to the Canons of Torre.
Sometimes known as Hywis in la Flode, also as Kuish Within Flode and Hewis.

At Fludda, Richard de la Flode and his wife Odelina who owned this land, gave it all to Torre Abbey in about 1240. The modern name for Flode is Floyd, or Flood.

Frost Farm This farm is believed to date back to the C17th, or possibly even earlier. About ½ mile from Hennock towards Bovey Tracey, a fine Georgian country house (Grade II listed) with a farmhouse attached on one side and a cottage on the other. The country house is full of history, a fine example of the period; stately quarters and servant’s quarters, big rooms, open fires, stucco ceilings and original pine shutters. It has much of its original furniture. At present offering B&B accommodation.

Bottor Rock Farm In a field here which was named Brady or Broad Park, stood two stone circles, now unfortunately gone.
Not far away, in another field towards Furzeleigh Cross, an Allied Air Force fighter-bomber, piloted by two Polish airmen, crash-landed during WW2. Mr Harvey, the farmer, remembers the incident and recalls that the pilots survived with only minor injuries.
Also during the war, a German bomber plane unloaded its remaining payload over Bottor Rock Farm, with one of the bombs exploding in a field. Another four bombs landed in the Furzeleigh woods.

Beadon Farm. Old documents mention that there was a chaplain called Adelard of Beadon in the early 1200's, although no traces of a church remain here.

War Memorial

 

Stickwick Farm. Situated on land just below Bottor Rock, many flint finds dating back some 8000 years have been found here. I have found one reference to Stickwick being known as Scabatore. The Hennock Archaeology Group is currently assessing the ancient field boundaries of this important site.
This old building, built by the Hole family on the site of the old farmhouse, is now available for holiday rentals.

Tottiford Farm & Mill. Known in Saxon times as Totta's Farm and in 1333 as Toteworthi. Listed in the Tithe Survey of 1841 as Toadaford.

War Memorial. Dedicated to the men who lost their lives during the two wars, this photo was taken after the first World War. The names of those who lost their lives in the Second World War and which were added later, were: F. Hodge, F. Wills, E. Riddler, K. Tucker, T. Lee and F. Howard.