Hennock & Teign Village Chronicle

Published by the Hennock Village Hall Committee

300° view of Hennock from
the top of the Church Tower

© 2014 D Baker

Hennock History

There has been a village or dwelling place here since at least Saxon times and probably even earlier.

Below are various historical references to Hennock (Hanoch/Hainoc is of Saxon Origin, Hanoch in the Doomsday book but some sources say Hainoc). Han is boundary stone in Saxon.
There has been a village or hamlet here since before the Norman Conquest whose origins are lost in time, the earliest known record is in the Doomsday Book.
Time Line
Event
Pre History
There is evidence that a prehistoric settlement once existed near Bottor Rock.
As recorded by English Heritage "In a field called Brady Park, about 300 yards SW of Bottor Rock were two concentric stone circles. W C Radly, in 1841, gave the following measurements. Diameter of the inner circle 24 feet. Distance between the walls 18 feet. The outer wall was 4 feet thick and the inner stronger, wall 5 feet but much had been thrown away and about 3 feet remained. The area in the centre had been hollowed out. The circles were destroyed in 1842. "
Neolithic flint scatter has been discovered in what is now the allotments, these are now in the Exeter City Museum.
Saxon times
It is believed that a Saxon settlement existed here somewhere on the lower slopes below the present village. Although to my knowledge no trace has ever been found. But Hennock (Hanoch) is mentioned in the Doomsday Book so clearly there must have been a settlement here large enough to make it worth recording.
1066-1086
The entry for Hennock in the Doomsday Book of 1086:

Doomsday

Roger holds Hanoch (Hennock) from Baldwin. Alnoth held it T.R.E. (before the conquest?), and it paid geld for 1 hide. There is land for 13 ploughs. In demesne are 2 ploughs, and 5 slaves; and 9 villans and 6 bordars with 6 ploughs. Formerly 10s. ; now it is worth 30s.
Reproduced by kind permission of The National Archives, Kew, London ref. E31/2/1/4186 (folio number, 108r Great Doomesday Book).

The Doomsday Book was all about taxation and it enabled William to know what his income was, it was possibly the Norman equivalent of today's income tax records.
Roger Fitz Payne (son of Payne who was a Norman) was lord of the Manor in 1086, Alnoth (a Saxon) was lord in 1066 and has lost his land, Baldwin was the Sheriff presumably also a Norman.
Hanoch comprised 20 households (9 villagers, 6 smallholders and 5 slaves) this was just a count of heads of households, so the total population would have been about 100 to 150 (based on 20 households comprising husband, wife and 3 or 4 surviving children).
Taxable value 1 geld (a very small amount, below the national average).
Value in 1086 £1.50, value in 1070 £0.50.
There were 13 ploughable lands (fields), 2 plough teams belonging to the lord and 6 belonging to the villagers.
There were 60 sheep and one cob.

A note about slavery in Medieval England.
Firstly it had nothing to do with the colour of your skin.
The Saxons had a system of slavery, as did the Romans before them.
A person could become a slave in a number of ways:
  • An enemy soldier captured in battle.
  • The child of a woman who was a slave.
  • Someone who was in debt and could not pay the debt could 'sell' themselves (and their family) into slavery to pay off the debt.
  • Parents who were poor could also sell a child into slavery for money.
At the time of the doomsday book it is estimated that as much as 10% of the population were slaves.
ca. 1189–1199
Philip de Salmonville gives the church of Hennock to the Abbey of Torr, in the reign of Richard I.
1539
Rectory of Hennock leased to John Southcote of Bovey Tracey by the last Abbot of Torr Simon Rede.
1631
Rectory of Hennock purchased by the Chamber of Exeter from the Southcote family.
1822

From Magna Britannia: volume 6: Devonshire (1822)

HENNOCK, in the hundred of Teignbridge, and in the deanery of Moreton, lies between two and three miles from Chudleigh. Knighton, Warmhill, and Kelly, are villages in this parish.
At the time of the Domesday survey, the manor of Hennock was held by Roger Fitz-Payne, under Baldwin the sheriff: it was, not long afterwards, in the family of Hennock, in which it continued for a few descents, and then passed by successive female heirs to Clist, Tremenet, Dymock, Brittecheston, and Wyvill. By the last-mentioned family it was sold to the Southcotes, who possessed it in the reign of Charles I.
Matthew Lee, Esq., was lord of the manors of Hennock and Knighton, in 1773: they were sold by him to Richard Inglett, Esq., of whom they were purchased,in 1775, by James Templer, Esq., father of George Templer, Esq., the present proprietor.
Philip de Salmonville gave the church of Hennock to the Abbey of Torr, in the reign of Richard I. After the Reformation, the rectory,which had been appropriated to that monastery, was vested, together with the advowson of the vicarage, in the family of Washer; from whom they passed successively to Pinsent and Southcote. They were purchased by the Chamber of Exeter, with the sum of 400l., given in 1615 for the endowment of a lectureship in the city of Exeter, by Dr. Lawrence Bodley;aided by 200l., given two years afterwards for the same purpose, by Mr.Thomas Moggridge. Some time between the middle and the latter end of the seventeenth century, the Chamber appear to have endowed the vicarage with the great tithes, subject to 42 l. per annum, paid to the mayor of Exeter, on account of the lecture above mentioned; and 7 l. per annum to the lord of the manor.
The parish-register is of the earliest date. The birth of Edward VI. is thus mentioned in it: — "The eleventh day of October, the year of our Lord God 1537, was borne Prince Edwarde, which was the 29th yeare of our Sovereigne Lord, King Henry VIII., by the grace of God King of England, France, and Ireland. God send him good oldinge, and his father a long and prosperous reigne, Amen. Thomas Herle, vicar of Hennock."
At Knighton was formerly a chapel, afterwards turned into a barn, part of which is now used as a meeting-house by the Wesleyan Methodists.
From: 'Parishes: Haccombe - Hittesleigh', Magna Britannia: volume 6: Devonshire (1822), pp. 250-272. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50579&strquery=hennock Date accessed: 07 November 2012

1822
Population of Hennock

Inhabited Houses

Families

Number of Inhabitants

1801

1811

1821

1801

1811

1821

1801

1811

1821

107

83

129

107

106

142

537

575

678


From: 'General history: Population', Magna Britannia: volume 6: Devonshire (1822).
1850
Extracted from: White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Devon published in 1850

HENNOCK, a small Village, on an eminence overlooking the Teign valley, 3 miles W.N.W. of Chudleigh, has in its parish 828 inhabitants, and 8409 acres of land, including the hamlet of Knighton, or Chudleigh Knighton, which has 284 inhabitants, and a small village in the valley, 2 miles S.W. of Chudleigh.
The parish also includes Warmhill, and many scattered houses, and abounds in tin and iron ore, which is about to be worked by the " Hennock Iron-Steel and Tin Mining Company," recently established on the " cost-book principle," with a capital of £9400, in 4500 shares of £2. 2s. each. Messrs. Kennaway and Buckingham, of Exeter, are solicitors to this company.
Lead and copper are also found here ; and the mines have had their merits tested to an extent that fully establishes their capabilities for affording a high remunerative profit.
Pipe and potters’ clay is found at Knighton.
The parish is mostly in the same manors as Bovey Tracey; but the soil is chiefly freehold, belonging to Sir L. V. Palk, Lord Exmouth, the Duke of Somerset, Wm. Harris, John Gaunter, C. Winstanly, and A. Chichester, Esqrs., and several smaller owners.
The Church (St. Mary,) is a large ancient edifice, in the early perpendicular style, with a tower and four bells. Its ancient Norman font, and the stoup in the porch, still remain; and in its fine windows are some fragments of stained glass.
The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £16, and in 1831 at £206, is in the patronage of J. Mason, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Wm. Woollcombe, of Christow.
The parsonage is a good residence, and the glebe is 20 acres. The tithes were commuted in 1838; the vicarial for £233, and the rectorial for £168. The latter are held by the Corporation of Exeter, as the endowment of a city lectureship.
Knighton Chapel of Ease is a neat structure, of flint and limestone, in the early English style, built by subscription and grants, in 1841-2, at the cost of £900, and endowed with £1000. The Rev. C. M. Collins, of Chudleigh, is the curate.
An ancient episcopal chapel, at Knighton, was turned into a barn many years ago.
The Wesleyans have a chapel in the parish; and the poor have an acre of land, given by John Stooke, in 1692, and the interest of £5, left by Eliz. Gribble, in 1726.

In the following Directory, those marked 2, are at Knighton ; and 3, at Warmhill.

Chichester Arthur, Esq. Stocklake
Cooch James, vict. Anchor, Knighton
Drury Rev Benj. Jph. curate, Vicarage
Flood Miss, schoolmistress
Hives Charles, Esq. Pitt House
Loveys James, vict. Union Inn
Loveys Wm. vict Palk Arms
Palmer Charles, Mason
Stone Wm. miller, Pool Mill
Taylor Wm. G., Esq. Beals
Warren Miss Chltte. Hazlewood

FARMERS.
(* are Owners.)
Ball Nicholas
Ball Wm.
Barber Jane
2 Bishop George
Brock John
Cox Joseph
3 Edwards Chas.
2*Davy Fras. J., (& clay mert)
2*Harris Wm.
•Hill Rose P.
Langdon John Northcott Mark Norsworthy Wm.
•Perryman Geo.
Pitts James

Short Wm.
3 Soper James
Soper Wm.
Stanbnry Wm.
Stone Philip
Toswill James H.
Tucker Thos.
Vooght Wm.
•Wills James
Winsor James
SHOPKEEPERS.
Petherbridge W.
2 Williams Geo.
TAILORS.
2 Cator Henry,
(and baker)
Hole Thomas

BLACKSMITHS.
Mann Thomas
Smallridge Geo.
BOOT & SHOE MRS.
Land Wm.
2 Williams Geo.

CARPENTERS.
Loveys John
Loveys James
Loveys Samuel
Loveys Wm.
2 Taylor John