Hennock & Teign Village Chronicle

Published by the Hennock Village Hall Committee

300° view of Hennock from
the top of the Church Tower

© 2014 D Baker

Archeological sites and Antiquities in and around Hennock

These are as recorded by English Heritage in their PastScape Web Site and are in addition to those already contained on the Listed Structures page on this site. Mostly they seem to be of sites that have been recorded at some time in the past but of which not enough now remains to afford listed status. Much more detail can be found on the Past Scape Web Site. Some even have no known location, do you know where they are, if so we can help English Heritage record the site.
Name Description Notes
Great Rock Mine Remains of an ironstone mine (Haematite) worked in the late 19th century and again between 1902-1969 The mine produced the high grade iron ore Haematite used in rust preventing paint to paint Sydney Harbour Bridge, battleships, tanks, railway bridges etc. See Mining in Hennock for more details.
Monument No. 446614 [SX 85277963] Earthwork of uncertain origin. In the Teign Valley just off the B3193 south of Huxbear Barton. Originally thought to have been a Cromwellian defensive structure, the evidence today points to a prehistoric origin. See the EH web site for more details.
Monument No. 447302 Possible Bronze Age barrow This was reported to be situated in a field called 'Castle Park or Field' in Hennock. is a small earthwork which is evidently sepulchral. The shape is elliptical: and its round is formed of small stones."
Opened by the clergyman at Hennock who discovered a cist [?] which contained nothing. On the opposite hill to the East is the site of the old Beacon, about half a mile distant from the Castle Field" This puts it somewhere near Bottor or possibly Stickwick.
There is no field called Castle in the 1838 Hennock Tithe Apportionments.
Monument No. 447312. [SX 83068085] Probable remains of a cross socket base now in use as a trough.
Opposite the Palk Arms there is an octagonal stone with a shallow circular trough cut in the top surface. This is probably all that remains of the cross that formerly stood in the centre of the roadway that was removed circa 1876.
It is octagonal in shape, and made of granite; and is 1.0m. diam., 0.8m. high, and 0.1m deep. An over-flow for draining water has been cut into it on its NE side, and it is much weathered and dilapidated.
Note. This is probably the same Grade II listed structure described as a 'Granite Trough 8 m East of the Vicarage gatehouse'. List entry Number: 1097384'
Monument No. 447364 (SX 82678045) Supposed 'Idol or Stone Alter' not certainly located but probably a natural feature. On the west side of Bottor Rock as described by W C Radly in 1841, as a huge rock idol or stone altar, with its fore foot supported by a wedge-like mass of the same older syenitic rock of which the whole is composed. It measures about 8 metres by 10 metres and has a maximum height of 1.5 metres. The top of this outcrop is flat, but field clearance has been heaped about it and the "wedge like mass" is not detectable.
It is reasonably certain that this is a natural feature and its description owes more to the imagination than is supported by the facts.
Monument No. 447367 (SX 824802) Reputed site of stone circles, probably a Bronze Age/Iron Age enclosed hut circle settlement. In 1841 W C Radly reported that there were two concentric stone circles located in a field called Brady Park, about 300 yards SW of Bottor Rock. He gave the following measurements. Diameter of the inner circle 24 feet. Distance between the walls 18 feet. The outer wall was 4 feet thick and the inner stronger, wall 5 feet but much had been thrown away and about 3 feet remained. The area in the centre had been hollowed out. The circles were destroyed in 1842.
The cropmark of an enclosure is visible at SX 82358030. It is almost circular, 39 metres in overall diameter, the enclosing bank obviously spread and about 6 metres across. The modern field bank immediately to the north bows to accommodate the northern side of the enclosure. Within the southwest quadrant, a dark circular "ditch" mark almost 10 metres in diameter, looks rather like a stripped out hut circle.
On the ground the enclosure is clearly visible from a distance of 50-60 metres as a bank about 0.2 metres high, but is so spread as to be unclear and unsurveyable when standing on the site. It is situated on a narrow shelf of a south facing slope and in this field and the pasture one to the north there are traces of what may be a ploughed out field system.
If this is the feature seen by Radley (and this is by no means certain), it is more likely to have been a Bronze Age/Iron Age settlement.
Monument No. 447371 (Area SX 826805) On a hill top near Bottor was the site of a pre-Elizabethan Beacon that would presumably have been part of the chain of beacons used to warn of the sighting of the Spanish Armada in 1588. The exact location of the beacon on this prominent hill known at Bottor, is uncertain.
There is a lane, called Beacon-lane, that leads West from Hennock, to an eminence called Halsewood-hill. It is presumed that this was the site of the beacon but now all traces have disappeared.
In recent times a beacon has been lit in a field near here:
  • 1977 to commemorate Her Majesty the Queen's Silver Jubilee.
  • 1988 to mark the 400th anniversary of the Spanish Armada.
  • 2000 to commemorate the Millennium.
  • 2002 to commemorate Her Majesty’s Golden Jubilee
  • 2012 to commemorate Her Majesty's Diamond Jubilee.
Ladywell (SX 83478080) One of the Devon Holy Wells. Ladywell has been obliterated by a reservoir. It was situated in field No 395, known as Ladywell or Beanny Broadhams, on the right-hand side of the lane leading down to Teign Village from Hennock. This was the site of the South Exmouth Mine.
Higher Crockham Farm House dating to the late 16th or early 17th Century. For some reason does not seem to have a listed status.
Monument No. 899624 Neolithic flint scatter was found in what is now the Village Allotments. The finds are now in Exeter City Museum, Acc No. 183/1975/10.
Wesleyan Chapel At the top end of Church Road. This was opened in 1835, closed 1976 and converted to a private house.